Friday, August 24, 2007

Do you scallop?

Me: Why do these coquilles saint jacques (scallops) have orange tongue-like things?
Him: That’s how you can tell they’re REAL scallops. When they’re without, you know they’re fake.
Me: Uh huh…Wait. Fake??! So…the French eat the tongues, right? Maybe Americans prefer not to and they simply remove them. Could it be that they just were real scallops with the rest removed? Because I’ve never seen these orange things served in restaturants even here in France and I’ve never seen them in the U.S. ever - that I can remember.
Him: They must’ve been fake scallops at the restaurants and in the U.S. EVERYWHERE.
Me: So you’re saying that I never ate any real scallops in the U.S.?
Him: Ouais. (Yeah.)
Me: What have I been eating all this time? What are “fake scallops” made out of, then?
Him: Some fish that tastes exactly like scallops.
Me: Are you sure about this? Your perspective on “tongue-less scallops … seems… well…I dunno.
Him: No, I’m not sure but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Author's site
Thanks to wukong?? and Mistapurple for the pictures

No comments: